Out4Blood & El_Cap's Rise of Nations Strategy



Tuesday, April 13, 2004

RoN Oscar Speeches Part 1 of 10:
Speeches were edited by El_Capitan for a "G" rating, and to fix bad spelling and grammar. =p

Best Overall Player: TWC_ShadowZ

*big smile* First of all I would like to thank all the people that voted for me, it's a great honor to be reckoned as the best Overall RoN player. I want to especially thank TWC, not only did they take me under their wings in my first weeks, but showed me the light after constantly whooping my behind. They also are a great group of people with fantastic attitudes, which was exactly what I was looking for. Over time, they have become a very good group of friends, and I'm glad to be part of them.

A lot of people asked me what in particular what made me evolve so much to turn out to become a strong player. Well, it's actually pretty simple. It's all TWC_Darkness and TWC_Apollyon's fault! Playing with Darkness always ended up with me having to save his behind, or trying to survive a double team, so I just had to get better! Thx for the training mate! :) And then there is that beast Polly. We have always been pretty close in skill so I had to keep trying out new things and improve to keep up with him.

This game really requires a great deal of adapting to the map, enemy nations, knowing the different strategies out there, and being unpredictable. I got most of that together, and with a good set of micro, that's me! Of course, you do need quite some time to play and practice to be on top off your game.

I would also like to thank BHG for creating such an amazing product with fantastic gameplay. Great depth and strategy! I just hope they consider kicking GameSpy out and getting a decent rated system. :P

But hey, let's take the good with the bad and just enjoy playing the great product that we got, and hope the expansion pack is as great as I expect it to be!

Greetz Jeff.


Most Entertaining Player: El_Capitan

I'd like to thank everyone for voting me as being one of the most entertaining players for RoN. Besides outside-game activities like my smurfing fiascos or long-winded game-balancing interlays, I try to help players become better by posting entertaining games with strategic values attached to them. A few of them come from me, but a majority of them are carried out by some very talented players! If you can think of it, you can bet your buns that you can find a way to make it work in a competitive game! It's not all about what strategy you come up with that makes it entertaining, because any decent player out there can manhandle a beginner with just about any strategy, but making it work against other expert players is where the excitement comes from.

From doing a Unified Slinger Scouting Russians/Border Push, Korean Delayed Power Rush with Militia, to the Staying in Ancient Age strategy. It's not always about execution, but making your opponent's feel uncomfortable with the situation they're in. There are a great many exciting games to watch, and the one that struck me as the most entertaining was the game I played against Hiromu. What I liked about that particular game was that I knew I wouldn't be able to fight off his army by starting to make a defensive one of my own, and my only hope was to take his Capital for the Sack Bonus and then use those resources to fuel a defensive army.

A great thing about Rise of Nations is the complexity of the game. Many surprises can happen to make each game very different and exciting. It's a great roller coaster of an RTS game, and I'm glad I've just been around for the ride.


Comments: Post a Comment