Out4Blood & El_Cap's Rise of Nations Strategy



Tuesday, May 18, 2004

RoN Oscar Speeches-- Last Speeches?
Favorite Old School Player: Heaven's_Myst

Dear Mystians!

The day of praise hath come!

April 1st shall now be renamed from 'April Fool's Day' to 'The Day of
Myst' !!

Rejoice!

Through the voting of your beloved gaming prodigy, I hath been named
the Best Player in the World, also known as "Best Old School Player".
Close enough for me!

Although I do not play Rise of Nations any longer, I do find myself
playing Xbox Live (Rainbow Six 3) and occassionally World of Warcraft
beta, but most of my time (nearly every day) is devoted to my real life
minions.

I bid you farewell, and perhaps I'll smurf you during the Xpac. You
Mystians would love it!

Lovingly,

Heavens_Myst


Best Modification Designer: Jedianakinsolo

Hi all, and thanks for taking the time to read this speech, or my attempt of one. The Oscars were a marvelous idea, and there were several tough choices. I was nominated best modification designer, and won. So El_Capitan asked me to write a speech on what I have done, why, and what's my goal, (other than world peace ;) ) and how close I am to it.

First off, I became a member of the RoN community after a relative mentioned that Rise of Nations was pretty good. At that time, I had been a solid AoK Grave Blood player, and had been pretty good. But I was getting tired of it. So I went and read some stuff, and happened to read the RoN 101 at RoNH, and then downloaded the demo. Loved it instantly, but, had to stop since it kept crashing the computer. So I bought the game (32 bucks, Ebay!) and installed it on the other computer. Right before that however, Obsidian had announced the Modding Contest. So I asked a few questions, downloaded GIMP, and opened up the file. Me and my little brain thought something was wrong. The stupid model was flat.

That was the way it was supposed to be. So I didn't enter the contest because I was still clueless. But I kept looking at those files, asked a few questions, and experimented. The first couple were terrible, and didn't work. But finally I figured it out, and bang, there I went. Out came the British Fusilier, and the following three Civil War Mod Packs (all of which are available at both RoNU and RoNH.)

Now, I'm working on a LOTR conversion with two others, and doing a few mods on the side, plus I've completed a Reskinning guide available at RoNU and RoNH.

I've done this stuff, because 1) RoN's an awesome game 2) I enjoy doing it. It's a cool feeling to see your completed mod killing other units. 3) To add a bit of my taste to the game. 4) To keep this game going. Half-Life has only lasted so long because of the modding community. You know it, and I know it. No matter how good the game, we get tired of it eventually. With mods, that won't happen for a very long time.

I'm not sure there's a definite goal in mind, but there is one developing ever since I did the reskin guide. In order for RoN to keep going, there has to be a modding group. A corps of excellent modders who the community can depend on for good and enjoyable mods. The reskin guide is bringing that about. As of now, jimmypat1403, Dark, and InhumanCreation are becoming excellent modders. So, in closing, thank you for reading this, and I hope you take a look into Unit Skinning. And BHG, awesome job!

Jedianakinsolo


Best Technical Support Helper: I_War

Well, I'd like to thank everyone for their votes, not just for me but also for the other people who provide help. I'd also like to thank all the other people who provide help as we all benefit from shared knowledge.

I never think about why I like to help people, if somebody posts a problem and I know the answer then why not reply? it only takes me a minute. I figure the more people who can play without problems, the better the community will be for all of us. With that in mind the main things I'd like to see improved in RoN is the community support, particularly in the mult-player area. I'd like to see a more robust game, especially in multi-player area. But also more features to help comunication in lobbys, things like group chats, clan channels, language filters and better profile information available. It would be very nice to see BHG players in GS all the time and on comminity forums.

I look forward to T&P and a new wave of support questions.

gg

I_War


Comments: Post a Comment