Out4Blood & El_Cap's Rise of Nations Strategy



Wednesday, October 15, 2003

The Expansion Rush refined
Here's another game to demonstrate the effectiveness of the "Expansion Rush." This is the same rush we pulled on _RU_Raven 2 weeks ago. In this game against DaLocust, I hit his expansion city a few moments after it goes up. He has nothing there but for 1 villager farming, and a half built temple. I quickly capture his expansion and then send reinforcements to ensure I'm able to hold it. Meanwhile, I work on expanding my economy.

A little bit later, he makes the big mistake (in my opinion) of trying to retake the city immediately. My forces easily beat off his attack, and I assimilate the city. There I start building a market, temple and university, as well as a tower and stable. He finally builds a new city further back, but by now the game is virtually over. I do some raiding, border pushing, and aging. Unfortunately, my wife shows up and I have to resign. But I'm way ahead and the point was made.

Tactical questions:
Should he have finished the temple? I say no. He was going to lose the town anyway. Once he loses it, he's not likely to get it back and I'm going to need a temple there. Deleting it saves him the resources, and prevents me from getting a free temple. Keeping it would only have saved him 15 sec or so. Not enough time to save the town.

Should he try to retake the city? I say no. I think trying to retake is a mistake. After losing the town, he has little intel on the type of forces with which I reinforce, and he won't be able to force larger numbers of troops given my already big lead. Also, I don't need to send many more troops there to have a big enough force to ensure I can hold it against anything he can send prior to assimilation. Once I assimilate, he's not going to get it back until he can make a very sizable force.

It's really hard to be ready for this. And once you lose that city, it's tough to respond correctly. I'm not 100% sure of the right response. But I am sure I haven't seen it yet.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is NOT a rush I would recommend for team games. You're not taking them out, you're merely equalizing resources. So, just a small early force from your victim's ally will spoil all your plans as you lose your military and your shiny new city.


Comments: Post a Comment