Out4Blood & El_Cap's Rise of Nations Strategy



Saturday, October 18, 2003

Report from the homefront
So with my new system, I can finally get to use the in-game multiplayer interface. I use to get into games with my old system, but back then I only had around 4 FPS. When I upgraded to Windows XP, got more RAM and a new video card, I couldn't use the in-game interface anymore. Now, I can do everything, and I get about 20 times the speed I had before.

Of course, the new system didn't do anything about Wifey...

Note: The only software difference I have now is Windows XP is upgraded with SP1. I probably would not have upgraded, but I had to get a completely new installation (not the upgrade version) and it already included SP1. So if you are running Windows XP and cannot play mukltiplayer through the in-game multiplayer interface, you can 1) try using Gamepsy Arcade, or 2) Install SP1.


UPDATE: I was having some unexplainable errors when running the game. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it would not. I would occasionally be able to play a game, but would have to reboot to play another. Deeper digging discovered that recorded games were not being saved. After even more digging, I figured out that this only occurred playing under a Limited Account. My Admin Account was able to play normally. Harrrumph. I upgraded my normal account to Power User, and now the Bad Things have gone away. If anyone is having the same trouble, they might check into this.

[rant]

After all this, I must say: THIS IS THE MOST DARNED SENSITIVE GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED. I've played a LOT of games in my lifetime and I have NEVER seen a mainstream game that was THIS BUGGY. In fact, I don't think I've seen ANY game that was this buggy and this mercurial. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. BHG should be ashamed. Either them or Microsoft. And the old: "Upgrade Your Drivers" schtick is wearing thin. It's NOT my drivers! It's your frickin' program! Before this, I made the mistake of upgrading DirectX before installing RON. Damn thing wouldn't even install (RONSetup failed to initialize). WTF?

[/rant]


Comments: Post a Comment